Associate Producer, WETA Washington Week
Department: National Programming
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Participate in the development and production of the weekly news analysis program Washington Week. Primary responsibilities as assigned by the Managing Editor, Senior Producer and Producer: research national and international news stories, gather editorial information and video elements, cover live events, generate story ideas, copy edit, supervise video editing, and produce broadcast and web content. Provide administrative support to program host.
- Participate in the development and production of Washington Week.
- Work with the web producer to manage Washington Week website.
- Provide administrative support to program host.
- Participate in station relations, program marketing, and promotion activities as directed.
- Collaborate with outside sources on securing production elements related to program.
- Coordinate program post-production and packaging activities in compliance with WETA and PBS broadcast standards.
- Assure all delivery requirements to broadcasters and distributors are met on a timely basis
- Handle requests for video footage and dubs.
- Maintain knowledge of Advanced Television/High Definition Television and other technological development as they might relate to television productions and program distribution.
- Participate in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Sound editorial judgment and demonstrated ability to select video and sound bites, oversee editing, conduct interviews and write stories for television and the web.
- Experience covering national politics and international stories. Knowledge of current events, U.S. politics, geopolitics, history, and government/political process essential.
- Self-starter, eager to work on a small team, performing wide range of functions to deliver a quality program often with shifting priorities and deadline pressures.
- Experience with productivity software and digital media technologies (i.e., HTML, Photoshop).
- Familiarity with social media sites, Drupal (or other CMS familiarity) and Final Cut Pro (or other editing software) helpful.
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication and time-management skills.
- Ability to work irregular shifts and Friday evenings on a regular basis. May require infrequent overnight travel.
- Strong writing skills and sound news judgment critical
Education and Experience:
- College degree in political science, journalism or related field
- Minimum 3 years experience in television production, preferably on a weekly news and/or current affairs program, with exceptional pre-production, post-production skills and web related skills.
For consideration, please send letter of interest, salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at www.weta.org for the full job description and on-line application.
WETA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posting Date: October 17, 2012