Los Angeles and New York—The Writers Guild of America, West (WGAw) and the Writers Guild of America, East (WGAe) have launched their call for submissions for the 2013 WGA Documentary Screenplay Award, Honoring outstanding achievement in documentary feature writing.
Submissions for the WGA’s top doc writing award may be received from August 20th through November 16, 2012.
WGA Documentary Screenplay nominees will be announced on January 3, 2013, as well as Original and Adapted Screenplay nominees. The WGA Documentary Screenplay Award will be presented, along with other film, TV, new media, radio, news, and videogame award categories, at the 2013 Writers Guild Awards on Sunday, February 17, 2013, at simultaneous ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York City.
The WGA Documentary Screenplay Award was established to recognize the fact that the majority of non-fiction feature films are written, continuing to showcase the Guilds’ ongoing outreach efforts to allow those writers working within the diverse nonfiction film community to receive the benefits of a Writers Guild contract.
Qualifications for Eligibility
- Submitted documentaries must contain an on-screen writing credit and have been exhibited theatrically in Los Angeles or New York for at least one week during 2012.
- Credited writers of eligible documentaries are required to join the WGAw Nonfiction Writers Caucus or the WGAe Nonfiction Writers Caucus to be considered.
- The deadline for submissions is 5:30 p.m. (PST) on Friday, November 16, 2012.
- Scripts need not necessarily be written under WGA jurisdiction.
- Scripts must be feature length (over 40 minutes).
- Documentaries that received their first public exhibition via broadcast or cable television are not eligible for WGA awards consideration.
- Foreign-language films are eligible, provided they feature English-language subtitles.
Further inquires about the WGA Documentary Screenplay Award may be directed to Jennifer Burt in the WGAw Awards Office at (323) 782-4569, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Dana Weissman in the WGAe Awards Office at (212) 767-7835, email: email@example.com.
The 2013 Writers Guild Awards will be held on Sunday, February 17, 2013, at simultaneous ceremonies at JW Marriot L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles and B.B. King Blues Club in New York City. For more information about the 2013 Writers Guild Awards submission process, guidelines, and official entry forms, please visit www.wga.org or www.wgaeast.org.