Miami, FL – Fusion, the groundbreaking news, information and lifestyle network for Latinos and millennials, recently announced the channel will launch in millions of households nationwide. Fusion also unveiled key parts of its programming lineup featuring news, satire and original series.
“We believe our programs – visually compelling, creatively produced and laced with humor and irreverence – will resonate with Latinos and non-Latinos alike,” said Beau Ferrari, acting President for Fusion. “Fusion’s unique combination of news, satire and original series is a completely new offering for the most exciting and fastest-growing group of young people in the country.”
Jorge Ramos, the No. 1 Spanish-language television anchor, and Leon Krauze, one of the most popular local broadcasters in America, will lead Fusion’s primetime news block.
David Javerbaum, 12-time Emmy Award winner and former Executive Producer and Head Writer for “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” will oversee content for Fusion’s nightly block of satire programming and develop the next generation of comedy for the network. (READ HERE: Comedy Heavyweight David Javerbaum Joins Fusion).
Original series, specials and documentaries on weekend nights round out Fusion’s signature mix of current events, information, entertainment and humor.
Six of the nation’s biggest cable distributors have already agreed to carry the network, including Cablevision, Charter, Cox, AT&T U-verse, Verizon FiOS and Google Fiber.
Fusion’s digital presence will come alive in October online and across mobile screens and tablets via video, graphics, memes and dogged journalism. At launch Fusion will reach a huge community of people across every popular social media network, fueling its ability to share compelling stories, break news and make people laugh. Over 4 million people are already following Fusion online.
Fusion’s primetime news programming will include:
* America with Jorge Ramos – The flagship program in Fusion’s primetime lineup, “America with Jorge Ramos” will be a bold, hard-hitting hour with Jorge Ramos, the legendary anchor of Noticiero Univision, Spanish-language television’s No. 1 newscast, and political affairs show “Al Punto.” Ramos will bring his passion, intensity and fearlessness to the biggest stories of our time – from immigration and marriage equality to gun control and the criminal justice system – and do it for the first time in English. An audience hungry for a sharp, fair and unbiased discussion absent from the national dialogue will find it every night on “America with Jorge Ramos.”
* Open Source with Leon Krauze – Obsessively well-informed, passionately curious, energetic and fun, Leon Krauze will break down on air what you’ve been talking about all day. The live one-hour program will address a wide spectrum of topics, from politics, the war on drugs and soccer to celebrity meltdowns, video games, movies and comic books. Airs weeknights at 10:00 p.m., ET
Krauze is a Mexican-born journalist based in Los Angeles. He currently anchors two of the most-watched local newscasts in the country, KMEX’s broadcasts at 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
Fusion’s original nightly satire block will include:
* Sports Bar (working title) — a nightly sports comedy talk show hosted by two obsessive sports fanatics and one sports skeptic from the acclaimed comedy troupe the Harvard Sailing Team. Using the format, energy and spontaneity of sports talk radio combined with the topical humor characteristic of late-night comedy and improvisational performance, “Sports Bar” will include beyond-in-depth and humorous discussion of recent sports news, interviews with athletes and commentators, comedy sketches, special guests and innovative opportunities for audience interaction. Airs Monday through Thursday at 9:00 p.m., ET
* A second primetime half-hour of innovative topical satire programming – created by Javerbaum and produced in conjunction with Lisa Henson and the Jim Henson Company (“The Muppets”) and ShadowMachine (“Robot Chicken”) — will be announced in the weeks ahead.
Saturday and Sunday nights on Fusion will be appointment viewing for original series, specials and documentaries.
* Strange Medicine – a half-hour 12-part quest to find the strangest cures and most exotic medicines from around the world. Host Dr. Juan Rivera will search for and investigate alternative remedies and treatments, revealing their benefits and utility (or lack thereof). It’s “Heart of Darkness” meets “River Monsters” as Dr. Juan goes to the ends of the earth to separate fact from fiction in alternative medicines.
* Back Home – From executive producer Diego Luna and Canana (“Milk,” “Y Tu Mam‡ TambiŽn,” “Frida”), “Back Home” follows a different tastemaker each week on an epic and emotional voyage to their family’s country of origin. For some, it’s their first.